Posts tagged Star Trek
This is the kind of stuff Star Trek fans’ dreams are made of. You, Shatner and Stewart, together in one spot, with a photo op to capture the moment for posterity. I’m imagining if I did it, it would look a little like the picture at the left. Or, if you’re the more cerebral type, you, Len Nimoy and Brent Spiner, with a picture as it you were all buddies. Impossible you say? Nay, not if you’re at Star Trek Vegas, where for $299 and $159 respectively, you too can take part in these photo sessions, which according to the convention, has never happened before, ever!
Is it me, or do the captains look a little peeved at me?
- Hey kids, do ya like “True Blood’s” Sam Trammell? Then get thee to Comicpalooza.
- MTAC has their programming up. Also in PDF, if you so desire.
- Yesterday I said that WonderCon wasn’t San Diego. I might have been wrong. They aren’t going to be selling any 3-day ticket sales on-site. Although they still are selling them on the website.
- Cincinnati Comic Expo announced Mitch and Elizabeth Breitweiser on their guest list.
- Need Ancient City Con’s games schedule? I’ve got good news for you.
- If it wasn’t for the Star Trek stuff, this would have been the top news of the update. And the only reason why it’s posted this low, I wanted to make sure the images didn’t interfere with each other. But Heroes Con just announced a pretty awesome assortment of comic artists as guests – Frank Cho, Darwyn Cooke (who drew the awesome Ambush Bug to the right), Joe Jusko, Ryan Sook, Billy Tucci, Buzz, Jamie Cosley, Rob Hunter, Eric Layton, and Tommy Smith.
- Geek Girl Con passes are online.
- Want to cosplay at Florida Super Con? Then you’d better read this. Also, Thom Zahler’s gonna be there.
- Louisianime has two more guests – cosplayers “We *Heart* Card Games” Productions and the DJ team NeardRaves.
Actors hitting the pop culture conventions to build up hype for their geek-oriented films is nothing new. Actors hitting up the same conventions they used to go to as kids, and admitting to it on national television? That’s a little different. Press play on the YouTubes to see Rainn Wilson, star of the upcoming “Super,” plugging the heck out of NorWesCon.
- It’s one week till WonderCon in San Francisco, so they’re pumping out last minute information updates by the fistful. Check out their interactive scheduler – looks to be pretty nifty. They are also still looking for more would-be comic book artists to join their Comic Creator Connection, so if you are good with the drawing, but need a writing partner, you might want to sign up.
- Matsuircon in Ohio announced a bunch of guests – Micah Solusod, Brittney Karbowski, and Brina Palencia. They also have some super huge secret guest, but like a bunch of meanies, they’re going to make us wait till next week to find out who. Meanies.
- Purchase a 3 day pass by 7PM Mountain for the Albuquerque Comic Expo and you’ll be entered into a drawing to be upgraded to a VIP Package. Although given when I’m writing this, this news may be useless to everyone. Dang time zones!
- Long Beach Comic Con updated their artist list for their one day expo. They are also looking for someone to do a half hour interview about comic cons for students, so if you feel gabby, make with the clicky.
- Rules. They keep us from living in anarchy. And now the cosplay events at Anime Expo in Los Angeles have them.
- The Star Trek Convention in Phoenix has a write up on the official Star Trek website.
- Louisianime pre-reg closes tonight. And once again, here’s hoping that tonight means some time after I’ve posted this blog entry, stupid timezones!
- Are you a Canadian gamer? Then you might want to check out the schedule for the Canadian Games Conference.
- MTAC in Nashville has Vic Mignogna as a guest. And if you think I didn’t spellcheck that name a couple of times… silent G’s trip me up.
I tend not to get overly excited about celebrities. I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I went to high school with Fiona Apple. I once sold camera equipment to Keith Carradine. But this is something to get excited about. The Man himself, CLINT HOWARD, is going to be at Star Trek Vegas! What? You don’t know who Clint Howard is? How dare you! He was the creepy little kid who played the true form of Balok in the original Trek episode “The Corbomite Maneuver,” as well as appearances on “DS9″ and “Enterprise.” He was the bear on “Gentle Ben.” Wait, no, he was the little kid on “Gentle Ben.” The Timmy to the bear’s Lassie. And perhaps more importantly, he’s played a score of creepy janitors, technicians, psychopaths, etc., mostly his his big brother Ron’s movies. CLINT HOWARD! Forget Shatner, Nimoy and Stewart appearing in one place, which they are. CLINT HOWARD!
Also just announced for the show are Michael Barrier, who played DeSalle in original series episodes “The Squire of Gothos,” “This Side of Paradise” and “Catspaw,” as well as William Schallert, who played Niz Baris in “Trouble with Tribbles,” as well as being Gidget’s father on the 80′s remake TV series, which raises the number of guests to a whopping 51, one more guest than there are states in the union. But they aren’t CLINT HOWARD!
More sad news from the Land of Geek, as Nicholas Courtney, better known to Doctor Who fandom as Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart, died at the age of 81. Courtney was a regular guest at many conventions throughout the years, and his presence will be missed.
And here’s the rest of the news…
- Want to go to Naka-Kon in Kansas City, but too cheap to pay? You might be in luck. Fill out this survey and you can win a pass for free. Deadline is March 8, so don’t dawdle.
- Going to Total Confusion in Massachusetts and want to go to GenCon, but too cheap to pay? If you are a kick-butt GM, then you too may also be in luck. Win their regional Iron Gamer competition, and you’ll get a four-day pass, airfare, hotel and $1,000, plus free gaming stuff.
- FOGCon has announced their Saturday night programming.
- By Odin’s Beard, Chris Hemsworth, the Mighty Thor himself, will be at C2E2.
- Comic Con International has announced four new entries into the Eisner Hall of Fame. Congratulations to everyone!
- In Las Vegas for Creation’s Star Trek Convention? You’re going to get a chance to meet the baddie from a ton of sci-fi movies, from Star Trek to Tron, David Warner! Also appearing, prolific writer and Tribbles creator David Gerrold!
- Tune in to AX Live at 7 tonight to find out a new special guest at Anime Expo in Los Angeles.
- Speaking of Los Angeles, Creation’s Twilight Convention has updated their website with a ton of new information.
That’s it for now. Tune in tomorrow, same Con Time, same Con Channel.
Yeah, that signoff isn’t going to get old quick.
The ultimate question, Kirk or Picard, will be settled as William Shatner and Sir Patrick Stewart appear live on stage at Star Trek Vegas on August 14th at the Rio. Check out Creation Entertainment’s website for more details.
Hello Con Maniacs,
Collectormania London!This event is held at the Olympia 2, Hammersmith Road, London, W14 8UX March 5 and 6, 2011 If your in London or planning on going this would be a great time.
Amongst the star-studded line-up is Sean Maher from Serenity/Firefly, Alien star Veronica Cartwright, Star Trek guests Walter Koenig and Jennifer Lien, Miranda Raison and Shauna Macdonald from Spooks, and Harry Potter girls Afshan Azhad and Anna Shaffer.
Also appearing is Joel Gretsch who stars as Father Jack Landry in the new V Series.
And my amazing friend Walter Koenig who of course is Chekov in Star Trek.
More to come my friends. Break out your Firefly and V Dvd’s and enjoy…
What do you all think of Jane Badler being back on V?
I look forward to hearing what you guys think, you can reach me at Magid@raybin.com
Hello Con Maniacs,
Starbase Indy 2010 was a great show. Check out the link to the left to see. Now we look forward to Starbase Indy’s 16th event which is held at the Indianapolis Marriott East, 7202 East 21st St., Indianapolis, IN 46219
Their first guest announcement is the very talented John Billingsley who played Dr. Phlox on Star Trek: Enterprise. John has appeared in a host of other television shows including Leverage, 24, Without a Trace, NCIS and the favorite of many SBI staff members — HBO’s True Blood.
Also appearing is John’s lovely wife Bonita Friedericy. She currently plays General Diane Beckman on the hit television series Chuck. You may have also seen Bonita in shows like The Starter Wife, Without a Trace, The West Wing, Monk and many more.
They have only just begun. Make sure to let the promoters of Starbase Indy if you want to see more detailed coverage here on Con Mania. Who would you like to see at Starbase Indy? Let me know at Magid@raybin.com
You know I love Chuck. But the Six Million Dollar Man did it first. Do any of you remember him?
Watch The Six Million Dollar Man – 1x00a – The Moon and The Desert – Part 2 (DivX) [DaBaron] (47m05s).avi in SciFi & Fantasy |
I loved that show. Wow, such great memories! Your thoughts?
Hello Con Maniacs,
Some great news from Dallas Comic Con which occurs May 21-22 at the IRVING CONVENTION CENTER 500 W LAS COLINAS BLVD. IRVING, TX 75039. What is so great about this event is the attendance of 2 greats in the genre community. Leonard Nimoy aka Mr. Spock and the father of Marvel Comics Stan “The Man” Lee. I have worked with Leonard on several occasions and he is an incredibly insightful and spiritual man. If you have the chance, take a trip just to meet him as he is cutting down a ton on the events he will do.
As I mentioned the great Stan Lee is also attending. Here is a great interview with Stan Lee curtesy of CNN.
I am sure they will have alot more guests as we get closer to May. If you want to see more detailed coverage of Dallas Comic Con here on Con Mania contact the promoters at firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know.
Well my friends, we are over the hump of the first week of 2011. I do have to mention how saddened I was to hear of the passing of Anne Francis. She was a Hollywood legend. Who can forget Forbidden Planet…
RIP Anne Francis…
Hello Con Maniacs,
Well it looks like all of you that went on the 2010 Cruise Trek had a great time. Lets take a look!
Here is a great photo of the featured stars of the trip Wil Wheaton(Wesley Crusher-Next Generation), Vaughn Armstrong (few actors have performed in all four of the new Star Trek series: Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine, and as Admiral Forrest in Enterprise. He has been more different characters in the various Star Trek series than any other actor – 12 in all!), Suzie Plakson (A Vulcan, a half-Klingon, an Andorian, a Q in various Star Trek series) and Denise Crosby (Tasha Yar-Next Generation)
Here is a great group shot of everyone who was on the cruise.
As you can see a great time was had by all. It would have been a great cruise to be on. If you were there I would love to hear about your exploits. You can reach me at Magid@raybin.com
Remember, if you want to see a specific event featured here on www.conmania.com contact the promoters of the events and let them know. If you do not know how drop me a line and Ill be happy to assist.
I know everyone is getting ready for their respective New Years events and celebrations so I wish you all a very safe and happy night. Don’t forget to have a sober driver so you are all safe.
HAPPY NEW YEAR