Posts tagged Albuquerque Comic Expo
Were you planning on checking out Tokyopop at your next comic or anime convention, either at a booth or on their bus? Best find some other plans. The Beat is reporting that the manga and anime publisher is shutting down US operations. Which is sad. I’d interviewed there once or twice. Knew people who worked there. Oddly, I just drove past their offices on Wilshire in Los Angeles earlier today. Actually… right about the time that article I linked to was posted. Creepy.
- In happier news, Cameron Stewart is definitely officially going to Toronto Comic Arts Festival. Cam’s awesome. And just to continue with the name dropping thing, gotten drunk with him once or twice, and had breakfast with him once. See, this is the weird kind of stuff you get to do when you do things with the Hero Initiative.
- And I would have led with this if not for the more important sad news, but PAX registration is open. And if you’re a game developer, there’s a pre-show.
- Pretty awesome image to the right, right? It’s an 18×24 lithograph made for Carrie Fisher’s play Wishful Drinking. Going to Dallas Comic Con? I’ve got good news for you — you can get it for $70 off the regular price.,Even better, Carrie’s at the show, so she’ll personalize the autograph for you. I’d want her to write that I was scruffy looking, but that’s just me.
- Writer/Artist Sam Lofti’s gonna be at Albuquerque Comic Expo.
- Going to Sakura-Con? Good news — their con guide is on The Conventionist. That makes getting around the con easy! Well, easier.
Listen up Conmaniacs, hope you liked the video from yesterday. More should be on the way, so keep your eyes open.
- Anime Expo in Los Angeles is approaching, which you should be able to tell from the little countdown clock. Speaking of which, you can download your own and more website goodies by making with the clicky.
- Speaking of goodies, MTAC has their T-shirt designs up. Only $20.
- “G-Man” and “Mini Marvels” artist Chris Giarrusso is going to be at Mid-Ohio Con.
- Want to know how awesome the Animated Detour convention was last weekend? $36,195.42 worth of awesome. That’s how much they raised in their donation buckets for the crisis in Japan.
- Ready for a ton of news from I-CON? The New York con put up their gaming schedule and autograph schedule, as well as their interactive programming schedule. They also announced a panel with Peter David, Joe Lansdale and Bob the Dinosaur on comedy, and a trivia game show. I love those. Cleaned up the prizes at several.
- Albuquerque Comic Expo is giving you a couple chances to win some major convention upgrades. Wednesday, someone gets their three-day pass bumped up to a VIP package. And one VIP ticket holder will get a chance to win a special one-on-one sit down with Stan “The Man” Lee, although that won’t be determined until after all the VIP passes have been sold. So in theory, you could win a one-on-one with Stan for the price of a three-day pass. Although unlikely.
- Time for vengeance, eh? “The Crow” creator James O’Barr is going to be at Toronto Comic Arts Festival.
- Going to Fanaticon in North Carolina? Want to be interviewed by Bold Life Magazine? Make with the clicky.
- Apparently the Hall of Fame event at GIJoeCon was a blast, so BotCon would like to remind you not to miss theirs.
- Spooky Empire’s May-Hem’s newsletter is up. Most of the news has been reported on here, but there it’s all in one nice place.
Actors hitting the pop culture conventions to build up hype for their geek-oriented films is nothing new. Actors hitting up the same conventions they used to go to as kids, and admitting to it on national television? That’s a little different. Press play on the YouTubes to see Rainn Wilson, star of the upcoming “Super,” plugging the heck out of NorWesCon.
- It’s one week till WonderCon in San Francisco, so they’re pumping out last minute information updates by the fistful. Check out their interactive scheduler – looks to be pretty nifty. They are also still looking for more would-be comic book artists to join their Comic Creator Connection, so if you are good with the drawing, but need a writing partner, you might want to sign up.
- Matsuircon in Ohio announced a bunch of guests – Micah Solusod, Brittney Karbowski, and Brina Palencia. They also have some super huge secret guest, but like a bunch of meanies, they’re going to make us wait till next week to find out who. Meanies.
- Purchase a 3 day pass by 7PM Mountain for the Albuquerque Comic Expo and you’ll be entered into a drawing to be upgraded to a VIP Package. Although given when I’m writing this, this news may be useless to everyone. Dang time zones!
- Long Beach Comic Con updated their artist list for their one day expo. They are also looking for someone to do a half hour interview about comic cons for students, so if you feel gabby, make with the clicky.
- Rules. They keep us from living in anarchy. And now the cosplay events at Anime Expo in Los Angeles have them.
- The Star Trek Convention in Phoenix has a write up on the official Star Trek website.
- Louisianime pre-reg closes tonight. And once again, here’s hoping that tonight means some time after I’ve posted this blog entry, stupid timezones!
- Are you a Canadian gamer? Then you might want to check out the schedule for the Canadian Games Conference.
- MTAC in Nashville has Vic Mignogna as a guest. And if you think I didn’t spellcheck that name a couple of times… silent G’s trip me up.