This user hasn't shared any biographical information
Posts by blogadmin
And 30 seconds after putting more badges up for sale, Comic Con is sold out. Or, done with a Grouch Marx impersonation, “They’re also out of badges!” Comic Con is the ultimate snooze and lose convention. That said, the passes I mentioned the other day that you can purchase when you get a hotel room are still available.
- If you stay at one of these fine hotels, you can buy a four day pass. Assuming that in the time it took me to type this, they haven’t booked up solid already.
- If, on the other hand, you’re more of a one day pass kind of person, those are going on resale too. In fact, bookmark that link, because they will magically go on sale when they happen to go on sale, and sell out 40 seconds later.
- Anime Expo’s official hashtag is #AX11. Check out the Conmania Twitter Feed and you’ll probably be seeing a bunch of posts with that hashtag, as I’ve got me a press pass!
- Even if you can’t get into AX, you can watch guests walk the red carpet outside the convention center… at 8AM. Guests like Power Ranger Felix Ryan.
- PAX DEV early registration discounts end Friday.
- Comic-Con International put up all their information about their Independent Film Festival.
- Anime Expo announced their host and judges line up for their AX Idol event. The show will be will be co-hosted by voice actors Kyle Hebert and Jonathan Meza. The judges panel will include BangZoom! President Eric Sherman, producer and BangZoom! Vice-President Kaeko Sakamoto, musician/voice actor Jason C. Miller, American Idol runner-up Blake Lewis and a special guest judge courtesy of VIZ Media to be revealed at a later date. I’m just going to guess it’s Rick Moranis.
- Anime SG has all of one unsold booth.
Go to a convention, and there’s a better than average chance you’ll see a booth taller than the rest stocked to the ceiling with geek-oriented t-shirts, jackets, hats, belt buckles, patches, and other assorted nuttiness. That’s the booth for StylinOnline, It’s been a long time since I personally have been to a con and not seen them. So if anyone knows anything about a con, it’s president and CEO James Cucchiara. Go watch, it’s informative, if only so you know that StylinOnline is the one booth you do NOT want to wait until the end of the con to buy something at. Seriously, usually you can get discount prices by waiting until the last hours of the last day, but at StylinOnline, it just makes it more likely they ran out of your size. If you are going to buy something there, do it first thing, when they are guaranteed to have everything.
Seriously, it’s a news wasteland today, and I didn’t have any time to prepare any feature-type material. But if you’re going to Anime Expo, they’ve got a mobile spa on the show floor to rub your body back into shape.
Not a ton of news today, so I’m going to get to business first. The four day passes Comic Con International was reissuing? They’re already all sold out. Single day passes will be sold at a later date.
The other news today would be the passing of legendary comic book penciler Gene Colan. If you don’t know who Gene is, you don’t know comics. Amongst other things, he created Blade in “Tomb of Dracula,” drew the first African American superhero with the Falcon, revolutionized books like “Daredevil,” “Howard the Duck” and more. He even won an Eisner Award in his eighties for his work on “Captain America #601.”
I was lucky enough to have met Gene at Comic Con International a couple of years ago, working as his talent wrangler for the Hero Initiative. I had to get Gene across the San Diego Convention Center floor from his booth in Artist’s Alley to the Hero Initiative booth, which was at the other end of the show. Given that Gene was using a walker, and couldn’t see out of one eye, it wasn’t easy. But I never heard him complain once. He was just happy that people were still interested in his art work.
Goodbye, Gene. I’m still interested.
Guess what, kiddies? Around 1,500 4-day badges were returned to Comic Con International. You know what that means? That’s right, they’re going to be offered again! Although at a non-discounted rate. “A 4-day adult badge without Preview Night will be sold at the non-discounted rate of $137 that includes a $6 reprocessing fee. Junior, Senior, and Military 4-day badges without Preview Night will be sold at the non-discounted rate of $68 each. You may purchase up to TWO 4-day badges only.” Single day badges are going to get sold as well, but later. Good luck! Because you know they’re going to sell out fast.
- Looks like director, animator and voice actor Makoto Shinkai will appear at Otakon 2011.
- Want to see CONvergenceCon’s guide? Now you can.
- Dear god, this may be the best bullet point I’ve ever written. Going to GenCon? If you sign up in advance, you can get a discounted lunch box from Ruth’s Chris Steak House. I can’t even come up with a zinger for that. Every other con now officially sucks in comparison.
- Tetsuro Araki, Masayoshi Tanaka and Kentaro Hashimoto of anime maker Madhouse Studios will be guests of honor at Anime Expo. They’ll be hosting a July 2nd screening of the acclaimed zombie apocalypse series “HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD” and will holding a creator’s panel.
- Remember the extra Stan Lee day at Albuquerque Comic Expo I talked about yesterday? Now is your last chance to get in on it.